Thursday, September 5, 2013

The Road to Feeling Educated



It was a long road to my bachelor degree, about 30 years down that road, and I still don’t
feel I know anything. Maybe because I never felt the closure of never having finished school, so I was always going back. I am not really sure of the answer to that.  I just know that I have five bookcases, two file cabinets, and folders, stuffed to the gills, because I am always searching for MORE answers.  This, of course, doesn’t include the books I have taken out at libraries through the years and the countless pages I have “book-marked” on my computer with interesting tidbits of information. 

My love affair with books and knowledge came at a young age. I couldn’t wait to learn to read, and when I could take books out of the school library, it wasn’t A book, it was six or seven books a week. My interests tend to non-fiction subjects, even though there was a time where I devoured the gothic novels or drooled over romance novels…when I was about 17 or 18, so I can see the interest in the vampire movies. 

I would lay on my bed or curled up in a chair and read for hours.  By sixth grade, I needed glasses. I could say, without bragging (too much, anyway) that I have read hundreds, if not a thousand or more, books in my lifetime. What really is the crux of the issue, to me anyway, is WHY? Why do I have such a driven motivation to learn everything about a subject that interests me. 

My answers to this question was that I had a competitive spirit being brought up the youngest in a family of rather sarcastic, extremely intelligent people, who are always trying to figure out ways to get one-up on the other. Thus, I never felt I had a voice within the family unit. Thus, my ego lay unfulfilled waiting for the chance to chime in with some really smart answer.  It never came. 

If all this sounds very ego-centric, it is. I know it is. As I have tried to not sound egotistical or arrogant, unfortunately knowing that I sometimes come off this way in person, I shy away from interaction. The result of this has been that even though I have a lot to offer in the way of knowledge and wanting to share it with others, I have kept it under wraps due to my ineptness in face-to-face communication. If my blog can give someone some bit of information that they were seeking, then I feel I have been off service to someone, which makes me feel good. This is what my blog is about. 

This site may appeal to the true knowledge junkies out there with a purpose of increasing people’s awareness…of themselves and the world around them, to the benefit of humanity and the earth (maybe even the universe, you never know. So this site may have a lot of different info on it, but I will  try to keep a sharp focus on subject matter to keep it relevant and up to date. Got a comment?Just email me


No comments:

Post a Comment