Saturday, April 30, 2016

Letters From Home

Goldie Cummins
In this digital age, the idea of sending a message by snail mail probably does not thrill you, especially if the message has to be delivered quickly. Instant message vs three days? Not going to happen. But I can tell you that people still love letters. I found this out by searching the term "old letters." There are hundreds if not thousands of websites devoted to old letters of all sorts.

I like the idea of permanency of a written letter, it guarantees that your words will be preserved, sometimes for hundreds of years. A letter can bring a sense of closeness that an email cannot and can solidify professional relationships. If you have ever written a letter, you know that it gives both the writer a sense of self-expression, you have created something. On an societal level, letters preserve history as well as contributing to the protection and conservation of literacy and language.  Letters have been around since early antiquity. Hopefully letter-writing will not go out of style.

For more information on letters, there are plenty of sites online. Information for this post was found at Wikipedia

Below is a letter written to my mother from my grandmother. To me, it gave me a connection to her, as my photographs do. This was written in 1961. She passed away when I was 15.

I will try to post something new about once a month.  Have a wonderful day! Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment