Thursday, January 29, 2015

Squirral Wars: How I waged battle Against a Furry Foe (And Won)




It was cute when it was sitting on the porch. It was rather shocking because it looked monstrous, but still cute when it was at my kitchen window, peaking in. But when a fuzzy little brown squirrel decided that the eves underneath the roof would be a good place to store its nuts, then it wasn’t cute any more. It was war.

Peaking in my kitchen window
 It all started last winter when one of our "typical" Michigan blizzards blew in from the North one November day, ripping the shingles of my 20-somthing year old roof off and flinging them around the yard; doing major damage to my roof, whereupon it soon began to leak into my library. While me, the insurance company and the roofer haggled over pricing, responsibility to pay and the like, it continued to snow, then spring came and the rain came down, eventually rotting the wood over the area.

Eventually I got a new roof put on but the eves were not repaired. Using their nifty little teeth, a crafty squirrel or squirrels seized upon this wonderful opportunity to gain entry into the crawl spaces of my house and ran wild. What was at first a very small hole, maybe big enough for birds, was now a very large unsightly gaping hole big enough for the squirrelly squatter (which is what I soon took to calling it) to get in. Every morning at around the same time, I could hear it up there, scratching and scurrying around. The sound itself was very disconcerting, and made more so by the fact that it was over my head. I felt very vulnerable. I was quite sure that any minute, I would have the frenzied animal down on my head, scratching and biting at me. I must say I kind of freaked out about it momentarily.

While I had little funds to hire someone to fix the problem, I did get a nephew to patch up what I felt was the worst spot. All was quiet. This lasted about two or three days. But the "Dark Invader" (well, the reference was too good to pass up) was too smart for me. He was not to be denied. Undaunted by this new development, he chewed himself a new doorway. I heard him very loudly gnawing and chewing again the following morning. I was frustrated. It seemed like the squirrels would win.  I felt I could win by ingenuity.

Always the problem-solver, I wracked my brain to figure out a way to keep out my furry new "frenenemy". I could hear him arranging his new home (well at least that’s what it sounded like. I was almost sure that I heard tiny squirrel furniture being arranged up there). As the leak in the roof had caused some damage to the ceiling tile in the library where all this noise was going on, and there were also some loosened boards above it as well, I thought I may be able to use this to my advantage. Knowing that animals don’t like the smell of smoke, I thought perhaps a little fake-out might suffice to put him on the run. But I needed something to make the smoke go up into the rafters. I managed to rig up an ingenious contraption that Rube Goldberg may be proud of, using my broom, a ruler taped to it with foil tape to lengthen it and leftover plastic drain hose. This was attached to a funnel I fashioned out of two aluminum roaster. All this to make the smoke waft up into the rafters. Not wanting to start a full-blown fire and burn the house down, I used some lavender-scented incense. I thought three or four at a time might do the trick.

After the incense burned down, I waited for a response. Did he leave? I listened for any sign of him high-tailing it out. Nope. I feel sure now that the lavender just put him in the mood for a relaxing bath and some mood music.

Undaunted and more determined than ever to rid my domain of this unwanted (albeit cute and fuzzy) guest, I planned my next “attack” Now just to be clear, I like squirrels…when they are not in my house. I like how they pick up little bits of food and nibble at it with tiny little hands. Oh so cute. And how they bounce and bound around carefree in parks and green yards all over the city. I would never purposefully hurt a squirrel. I just needed it out of my house. Next, I took to the internet for ideas to successfully and humanely end this stand-off. One word got my attention. Chili peppers. With some hesitation, I decided to try it. I reasoned that it was not harmful and just might work to let him know that he was not welcome. Going to my cupboard I rifled though the spice shelf to see what sort of a “recipe” I could come up with. I use a lot of spices when I took, so I do have quite an assortment. In an extra plastic spice bottle, I concocted a spicy mix of chili powder, white pepper, black pepper and some crushed red peppers. Just for extra measure I put some liquid hot sauce in another bottle.

The day I decided to have a face-off with the squirrelly squatter, we had had another one of Michigan’s famous snow storms. It had been snowing for three days and most of the schools were closed around town. It was seven degrees out and the ground was covered with two feet of snow. But I was determined. It was on. Tramping through this, I went to get out one of my other contraptions; a long pole I rigged last year to remove icicles along the eves of the house (one of home ownership’s downsides) out of the shed. After dropping my gloves in the snow a few times and struggling a bit, I attached the spice bottle to the end of the pole with one of the rubber bands. Standing on my tiptoes in order to just reach the hole, I managed after a few tries to sprinkle some of the chili powder mixture into the gaping crevice. Getting frustrated with the fact that the bottle kept sliding down the pole, I took it off and threw it up on the roof. “That’ll teach em,” I said to myself, feeling just a little sheepish.

My fingers turning a bit blue now, I returned the stuff to the shed and headed for some cocoa and maybe some quiet. Sitting down and sipping my hot cocoa,  I waited for something to happen. It didn’t take long. Within a just few minutes, I heard thumping, skittering about, then a loud crashing sound along the eves and what sounded like wood being broken, like he was making yet another doorway to his digs. I am quite sure the sound I heard was him packing his bags (which of course would be full of nuts) and throwing them up on the roof (no, really. I swear). Yes! I have vanquished the foe using the invisible force.....of hotness.

It’s been a week now and I have not heard a sound up there. My assumption was that he had found the chili powder, and headed for a more fitting lair (like a tree. Damn it, you’re a squirrel!).  Well either that or he liked it so much he went to find somebody with some habaneros.  Hopefully I won this war and not just the battle, because I am out of chili powder and new contraption ideas.  It’s a long time until spring, when he will be wanting to frolic outside. He could be sitting at my dinner table soon, demanding a nut casserole or something if he manages to chew his way through (and some chai tea to go with the lavender incense). Failing this, I should just concede defeat, sign him over the deed to my house (along with the tax bill and show him where the lawnmower is) and move to sunny Florida. Do they have squirrels there?


No comments:

Post a Comment